Tuesday, March 6, 2007

The Battle Begins

Wes' OT called me back today. I was concerned because we still hadn't heard from the Behaviorist about more therapy. She told me that he would be coming with her on the 22nd and would come twice a month. They are looking to hire someone for the rest of the therapy. She said Wes would be receiving 11 hours a week. She wasn't sure if it was ABA or not. ABA is Applied Behavior Analysis. It's a form of intensive therapy. This is in addition to the OT who will still come once a week and the Speech therapist I found privately.

I could not believe my ears. 11 hours!! WHAT!! That is totally not enough. We were told he would receive the minimum of 20 hours a week. I've read that the most beneficial is 40 hours, but of course, that depends on the child and how much they can tolerate. I know Wes can tolerate more then 11 hours. I plan on calling the director of Early Support Services and telling them I want that increased. We don't even know when it will start because they are looking for someone to fill the space for him, so that alone is going to set us back. It could be another month for all we know. That is unacceptable in my eyes. I understand that they wouldn't keep someone on the payroll if they aren't needed, but come on! I will do what I need to do to get him all and the best help out there. I will not sit back and take the minimum. I never imagined this to be that difficult. I now understand the meaning of "That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger".

3 comments:

sweetpeas said...

Hi Jess - I hate to sound like a broken record but have you called Karen Livernois? She is the person to help you through this...I hate to see you so frustrated everyday.....
Love Kel

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess,
I know I talk to you almost every day, but it helps to respond to you this way as well. This WILL not be a battle, but a victory. The strenth you have inside you will shine. Stay in focus and be strong. There are brighter days ahead and the fog will lift for all of you. I only wish that as your mom, I could make it all go away. Instead, I have to be strong and understanding too.
I love you very much Jess.

sweetpeas said...

Jess - your Mom is so right. Im so glad you have family support through all this. You are so strong willed you always claim victory.
Love Kel

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...