Friday, March 23, 2007

A little of something, a lot of nothing.

We came to the conclusion that in order for insurance to pay for ST, we need to be seen in the SLP's office. So for now, that's what we're doing. We've put Wes on the waiting list for ST through EI, but it's a 3-4 month wait. We'll just have to figure out how this is going to work. I feel horrible dragging Casey around. He doesn't sleep well anywhere other then his own bed. I can't say I blame him. So now I have to drag him to an office and sit there for 45-60 minutes of therapy. Tim said that he will take a few hours off every Thursday to watch Casey if he has to. He just might. We toyed with the idea of letting him wheel around Tim's office in his walker, but I'm worried he might get tired and cranky. Then what?

Wes' behavior has been horrific! He is not listening, and tantruming even more then ever. We met with the behaviorist on Thursday and he had some great things to say. He said he wants to take control (with my input) of Wes' care and therapy. I was more then happy to hand over some of the stress this has put on me. He is going to ask one of his Preschool teachers to step in and start with Wes' behavioral therapy until someone else is trained. I was so greatful to get the ball rolling! He is putting together a PECS board for us and told us he will put in all the time he needs to, to train someone fully. He is only granted 2 hours a month to train someone, but he's going to keep going until they are all set to care for Wes the way he needs it. He also said he was glad to see Wes such a busy and hyper boy. He said it's easier for kids who are awake and alert to learn then those that are totally lost in their own world and very quiet. That was good to hear!

Now on to Casey. He's cut his first tooth!! I knew it was the reason why he was so miserable and cranky the last few weeks. It's finally cut through the skin. I can barely feel it. My poor baby. It totally sucks that they have to go through this pain while they are so young. He's doing well so far and I don't see any specific signs that would lead us to believe he will have Autism too. We will keep a very close eye on him. I am considering having his MMR shot delayed when he turns 1. He won't be going to school for some time so we can delay it until we are sure he does not have Autism. Our other option is to separate the shot and give it to him one by one spread out over 3 months. That might be the one I go with. I'm not certain yet, but I still have 6 months to decide. I'm not sure if the MMR caused Wes' Autism, but I'm not willing to take that chance with Casey.

No comments:

Fast Forward

It's been nearly 9 years since my last post. Wow, have things changed! I'm not sure why I stopped posting to my blog. It was mos...